Saturday, April 25, 2009

Shameless Self-Promotion

Often I wonder who is behind the blogs that I hit up on the RSS every day. When I recently read about how Dallas Penn was an construction contractor, I thought, huh, isn't that some shit? That guy works for a living?

Perhaps those of you who read this site have wondered as well "Who exactly is this apparition with too much time on his hands hustling mad MP3s to DivShare?" Though partially correct, I do have a life, and I'm going to share it today for completely selfish self-promotional means.


Currently I work as a designer for Milton Glaser in NYC. If you don't know who he is yet, let's get edumacated. Milton is the creator of, amongst other important iconic images of our times:

• The INY logo (which he never made a penny on)
New York Magazine
• The Brooklyn Brewery logo and all subsequent beer & advertising
• Bob Dylan's famous rainbow hair poster

and tons of other objects and logos that have surrounded your consciousness since before you took your first breath.

Currently I am finished developing our new website, which I have been hustling on for weeks. It features a ton of amazing art that spans over 55 years of Milton's work: posters, prints, silkscreens, books, and other ephemera. He is an artistic genius, and you would do well to purchase something that might be invaluable at some point in the very near future.

You can check out our new site at:
www.miltonglaserworks.com


or see what we do at:
www.miltonglaser.com


Here's a few things I do when I'm not here blabbering to you about "preserving the culture" and the True School:

Now back to hip-hop...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Well that's really cool man. Don't feel you have to hold off from dropping in the occasional graphic design article into the blog. I can assure that I'd be interested at the very least.

So many graphic designers are into hip-hop - it's odd that so many hiphop album covers are so poor.

Anonymous said...

illlllllllllllllllll

WordSmith said...

Hahahaha...breaking the "4th wall" of blogging. Nothin wrong with that. Those Brooklyn Brewery labels are dope.

Avery Smith said...

I couldn’t agree more! Hilman Curtis’ short on Milton Glaser was one of the biggest inspirations for me as a designer. Enough to even fly up to NYC just to pick his brain a bit ;)

Have you heard of Milton Glaser’s new film? Its being released very soon, I recommend checking it out if you get a chance :) http://asmith3.com/blog/?p=158

I've always been a fan of the Brooklyn products for years now and I'm in love with the Local 1 and 2. The label designs are fantastic, did you work on these personally? Very cool.

DUKES said...

Ya Avery,

His film is premiering tonight at the SVA Theatre. I've already seen it and am required to go tonight as an employee...

And ya, I run the account for the Brooklyn Brewery, and I designed those three bottles with Milton.

Liam,

I will post a bit more graphics now that I know people are designers and are interested.

Words,

Whats the 4th wall?

WordSmith said...

Haha, I was sort of joking...in theater, breaking the 4th wall is when an character in the play speaks directly to the audience, thereby breaking the invisible barrier between the world of the play and the people watching the performance. I was saying that by talking about yourself and your real job instead of continuing the commentary on just hip-hop and such, you were breaking the 4th wall of blogging. Not a perfect analogy, but whatever.

Zilla Rocca said...

Damn, doggy! That's dope! We actually based the Beat Garden logo off the Brooklyn Brewery logo. Good shit, pimp

ShareThis