Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bright Is The Day Dark Was The Night



Dark Was The Night
is hands down one of my most anticipated albums to be released in the next year, hip-hop or otherwise. On February 17th, 31 exclusive tracks featuring Bon Iver, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Yo La Tengo, David Byrne, Cat Power, Beirut, Grizzly Bear, The National, Jose Gonzalez, and Feist will be released for download and vinyl purchase. Benefits from sales will go toward HIV and AIDS awareness.

Whoever the genius is who gathered all of these talents in one room to make this needs a standing ovation. Pairing Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) with Aaron Dessner (The National)? You, sir, are my hero. I dare hip-hop heads or labels to make something of this measure...it hasn't really been done since the Lyricist Lounge or Soundbombing series', though perhaps N.A.S.A. just made the attempt. And no, halfass mixtapes you churn out in one studio session don't count.

As my boy Jake put it, this album is going to be some kind of musical renaissance.

Listen to the above tracks or head to their site to create your own widget with your favorite songs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

please dont plug NASA anymore than they their PR does already...tired of hearing bout those guys.

DUKES said...

Im not sure I plugged NASA at all. They attempted to collect a ton of great artists and though its not that great of an album, it was an attempt, which is what I said.

I agree that they are overplugged and not that good.

DUKES said...

Oh and I dont take directions about what to post or say.

ShareThis